- This event has passed.
Learning Forward 2013 Annual Conference “SB 191: Creating New Mindsets”
November 12, 2012
Bruce Wellman – Presents
November 12, 2013
What do Bruce Wellman and Peyton Manning have in common?
Surgeon-like precision in the way they do their work.
Participants, in their evaluations of the Learning Forward Colorado Annual Conference featuring Bruce Wellman, cited time and again the remarkable clarity and precision of language with which Bruce presents information and facilitates group conversations and actions.
In defining “Supervision in Transition,” Bruce suggested some important shifts:
From Data to Prove
|to Data to Improve
Further, Bruce shared research from his latest book, Learning-focused Supervision: Developing Professional Expertise in Standards-Driven Systems, written with Laura Lipton. Throughout the day participants had meaningful opportunities to dialogue both with their learning teams and with others from different schools and districts. Wheels turned, dendrites fired, and high energy thinking and reflecting dominated.
The following are a few examples of themes that emerged in response to two of the evaluation questions.
What are your intentions for deepening/transferring your learning from today?
- First will be self-reflection, then using the info in my interaction with others.
- Take back information learned today to our Educator Effectiveness Committee.
- More study and reflection on this topic. Use what I have learned to support Principals in their work.
- Putting these skills into practice to become a more effective administrator and to enhance instruction within my building.
What interests you for further conference learning?
- Continued updates on how SB 191 is actually being implemented across the state.
- Digging deeper into coaching, feedback, data dialogues for starters.
- Continued collaboration as the state continues to “roll-out” this initiative.
- Strategies to create new mindsets . . . what have other districts done?
For additional information from conference participants, please use the following link to read the ongoing networking and sharing created in the conference backchannel.